Thursday, February 18, 2016

Another Surgery ...

Well, friends, ... I'm beginning to feel like a broken record.  (Could somebody give the player a "kick" so it stops skipping?)  Our boy Rees is going to be having surgery again on Tuesday (2/22).  Yesterday late afternoon, after we were starting to think that his incision was beginning to look better despite the chronic fluid build-up and drainage, the part of the incision between his eyebrows drained a ridiculous amount of fluid and then caved in, causing a hole about the size of a pencil eraser.  

Since then, the hole has increased in size (it is now larger than a pea) and is draining some very "icky" fluid.  Rees is back on antibiotics to hopefully defend against any possible infections.  The hardware that is holding his bone graft is now exposed and will likely prevent the wound from healing.  The incision/wound breakdown is due to "fat necrosis" per the doctors.  "Fat necrosis can be observed when fat cells are destroyed inside the human body."  It does not really make sense to me but clearly this is a problem. The hole will likely increase in size per the doctors, which I am not happy about because I am already sick to my stomach with having to monitor and evaluate it, clean it, and change the dressings.  

They removed the staples on Rees' head today and that, my friends, was nearly impossible to bear as he screamed and cried so violently that I could hardly contain myself.  He is much better now though ... he hardly behaves as though any of this is happening to him.  His face is covered with so much gauze and tape and we're forcing him to use only the eye that is tired and draining with "goop" and tears ... the poor thing ... the only thing I recognize about him is his voice.  

This afternoon I broke down ... I just started sobbing uncontrollably and this little boy who would barely acknowledge my existence for nearly the first three months he was with us came over to me and said, "Mama crying ... " and he gave me a kiss and hugged me.  Of all that we are going through, this is something "good" and I thank the LORD that my boy has come to care about me.  

At this point, I don't know what else to say.  I will try to keep updating ...       

4 comments:

  1. I want to let you know, I feel so sad for you and family.
    Just reading about it makes me feel sick...
    Praying all ends for the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Nicole. Your comments have meant so much and we greatly appreciate your prayers. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. When I saw the title of this post I thought I had accidently scrolled the page & it was an old one, then I checked the date :( I will keep you all in my prayers for comfort & quick healing

    ReplyDelete