Wednesday, March 2, 2016

So, we've had some more excitement today.  Around 9:30am our nurse came in to our room and said that she was just given orders that Rees was to be put on NPO (nothing by mouth) and that all she was told that they wanted to place a shunt. The nurse was very confused but didn't know any more than that. The doctor had been in earlier in the morning and said he looked great!
But what precipitated this is that late last night when I changed Rees' dressing there was an-ever-so-slightly-puffy spot. I watch this area like a hawk so I know where there is even the slightest change. I gently touched the spot and some fluid came out. It WAS different than any of the fluid that I have seen to date so I called the nurse in so she could witness and document. She came in and I touched the spot again and the same thing happened. The nurse said she would page the Teams to let them know just in case it was of importance.
This morning, when the doctor came in to check on Rees, she didn't seem overly concerned and she even stated that she didn't think the drainage was a problem. This is why I was so taken back (along with the nurse) by the new orders and plans.
So, the surgeons came and said that they believe there may still be a CSF leak somewhere. Though they've done numerous tests and procedures attempting to zero in on the actual problem, nothing has been 100% conclusive. They want to place a LUMBAR SHUNT internally to release any pressure and to help divert any excess fluid away from his incisions. (I mainly freaked out initially because I assumed that the shunt was going to be placed in his brain) I was not aware that there are two types of shunts and this information was not relayed to the nurse when the initial call was placed.
This surgical procedure is considered minor, should take only about an hour, with two small incisions, one in the back and the other in front. The diversion of fluid will go to his stomach to be absorbed. Their plan is that shunt will be temporary but will likely be in place for several months.
Because Rees had already had breakfast when the decision was made and he was not on the original surgical schedule, he is being added on and will likely be taken around 6pm this evening. We'd still appreciate your prayers. Rees is now hungry and we can't allow him to eat. I tell him I'm sorry and he says, "Mama bu hao", which means naughty. Then I tell him "Dui bu qi", which means I'm sorry in Chinese. Then he laughs ... so we're not too upset yet.
We'll update more later ... just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming ... 

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you... It is fifficult to sit there and just look...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope and pray surgery went well and that Rees is recovering like the champ he is!
    Continuing to pray for you all!

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete