Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Guess what??

THE BOYS ARE GOING TO SCHOOL!!

Yep, you read that right.  They're going to school!

They have shown great interest in "going" where Molly and Brynn go during the day.  They ask where they are several times during the day and when we drop them off to school and do the pick up, they are eager to see all the children and 'goings-on'.  
(Jonah practicing the alphabet puzzle)

So, for the last week or so, when I go to pick up Brynn from school, instead of waiting out in the car at our designated spot as I usually do, I have brought Jonah and Rees into the school building with me to wait for Brynn inside.

Honestly, this has been difficult, especially the first few times and it has made me wonder why God thought I'd be able to do this.  My honest-to-goodness inclination is to avoid all the attention and go about my daily life sheltered and invisible ... yet ... walking around in public with these boys provides anything BUT that option.

So, together, arm-in-arm with my dynamic duo, we tackle the several hundred steps and children between our vehicle and Brynn.  I take a deep breath (or a few) and I put on my 'strong face' and we go.  

I know it's coming ... I expect it ... I can almost foreplay it in my mind ... and when it occurs, I am sad, surprised, disappointed, frustrated ... BECAUSE IT'S HARD TO SEE ... but I understand.


The first time I saw their photos, I was shocked.  I was confused and curious and shocked!

But as I looked at their photos more and learned information about them, the shock gave way to a certainty that these were little boys, same as any other who needs a family, and it's not their fault that they look the way they do.  

How they look doesn't prevent me from loving them.

I believed the same as I imagined the children at the school who would see Jonah and Rees.  First their was shock and confusion ... even fear for some children.  Each day we go, I can see the faces of so many children who shocked and confused and curious.  I've even heard quite a few comments by children who are "just children who don't understand" and say the first thing that pops into their mind.  It's been hard ... but I understand.  


Each day has been a little bit better.  Jonah and Rees become a little more comfortable in the school (just today, Jonah started waving at various children as we walked through the school).  It just takes time and I wanted the children to have time to see them several times before they will be there every day. The other children are a little more used to seeing Jonah and Rees now and are more curious to know them.  Several children now come up to them to say 'hello' or give them a hug. 


There are still a few children who are whispering about them or open-mouth staring but this is something that just needs more time and prayer.  Your prayers will definitely help and we would appreciate if you would life up not only Jonah and Rees but also the children and teaching staff at their school.  The staff has been cooperative and proactive in helping transition the boys into the school and that is a huge help to be sure!


Photos and information I provided has been used to create a small presentation for the whole school.  Some of the classes have already seen it.  Later this week, I will go to the school and sit in on the presentation for the kindergarten class that Jonah and Rees will be in.  The children will have the opportunity to ask questions and make their comments to better prepare them for their newest classmates.   


I trust that most of the children will accept and befriend the boys at some point, that how they look won't prevent others from loving them.  There may always be someone who will not understand and just as we have done for our daughters, we pray for strength and courage and confidence for Jonah and Rees ... that they will know that they were created by a God who has a Plan and a Purpose, who loves them and made no mistake when He created them. 

We all need that reminder ... it is the same for each of us.




No comments:

Post a Comment