Friday, September 7, 2018

Road Trip: Creation Museum - Part One

Last week we took a road trip.  I don't typically blog about every little thing; time constraints usually leave me blogging ONLY about the things that are really worthy of being shared but I must say that  THIS FITS under the WORTHY category!!

We drove to Kentucky!  Yep, Kentucky ... I can't believe it either.  Anyone that knows me knows that this is HUGE for me.

Why Kentucky?

It's where the Creation Museum is!


Dear Husband had been wanting to go there for years.  I guess I could have given it the "take it or leave it" index but ... GUYS!!  I AM SO GLAD THAT WE WENT!!!


IT IS AMAZING!!!
You can learn all about the organization and the man that founded the museum by clicking on their https://creationmuseum.org/
For sake of post space, I am not going to provide that explanation.


Upon entry to the grounds of the museum, you will be greeted by extremely friendly and helpful people (who have a sweet Southern accent). 
There are beautiful bontanical-like gardens with enormous plants and beautiful flowers.  Seriously, the gardens are really quite nice ... I mean, maybe not as impressive as the Green Bay Botanical Gardens ... BUT ... it was especially amazing because there were plants and flowers that we do not typically see up here in the North.


I do not know what the official name is for this BEAUTIFUL flower that grows in the water ... some sort of water lily.  The only other time I've seen this flower is in CHINA!  


They are SO BEAUTIFUL!



The gardens are really sufficiently sized and there are several walking paths around and through the gardens.  



There is plenty to look at.




There is also an area full of animals, sort of like a petting zoo.  
Some of the animals are quite unusual.
It was definitely my first time to see a Zonkey and a Zorse!!
Yep, you read that correctly ... 
a Zonkey, which is a cross between a Zebra and a Donkey and a Zorse, which is a cross between a Zebra and a Horse.  


It was pretty amazing to see these two ... despite my conflictedness about the fact that somebody decided it would be appropriate to breed zebras with horses and donkeys.


The zebra/horse was SO FRIENDLY and really took a liking to Brian!


She kept bounding her head against his hand and in a circular motion.  She was trying to get closer to him just like he was trying to get closer to her.




This little guy was one of my favorites!
It was the smallest rooster I have ever seen ... 


... but he walked around the yard like he owned the place, all proud and vocalizing it for effect!!
It made me want a rooster!!


There were LOTS of goats!



... super friendly and super fun to be around ...



Yes, I'm still thinking we should have a few goats.


The animals had such a calming effect on the kids.  
The kids were so focused and  enjoyed interacting and cuddling and caring for them in whatever way they were allowed.  




It was truly enjoyable to see each child's demeanor change as they experienced something that isn't typical for them.  There was a definite appreciation and interest that kept them engaged ... and, would you look at that?? 


No electronic stimulation in sight!!!



The dinosaurs were a continual theme at the museum, however, they were not real ... darn!
(notice Rees in the photo pretending to actually be a dinosaur!)


When at first we entered the museum there is an exhibit about dragons and explaining that the dragons of legend may actually have been creative embellishments about dinosaurs.  


It was especially nice to see the Chinese dragons and lantern decorations that covered the entire entryway.  Of course, that holds a special bit of nostalgia for us.


There were plenty of displays about dragons, their origins and the various legends that they hold in areas all over the world.   


Then there was also information that ties those legends into actual biblical accounts of such creatures.


So, I hope I have your interest peaked!  I'll end this post there but watch for the next post... the Creation Museum is really pretty awesome and I'm excited to share it with you!





No comments:

Post a Comment