Monday, August 20, 2018

Why? Top FIVE Reasons


Since we started working on the Old, Old Porch Project at our friend's house #itusedtobeoursbutnowitstheirs , we have sort of been drawing a crowd ... a crowd of watchers from all over #toawatchingworld , other residents living in the same neighborhood, friends and relatives, co-workers, people we pretend to know on social media ... there is this question: Why?

I know it is an understandable question.  Someone asks: "Why in the world would they do it for free?"  "Why would they take all that time to do this themselves?"  "Why does this guy come nearly every day after a full day of work (at his real job) to work on the porch some more?"

So, here's out top five reasons why we took on the Old, Old Porch Project:

1) Because we're friends - and friends help one another - not just with things that are easy but even with things that are challenging, dirty, difficult, frustrating and just plain hard.



2) Because we're able.  Let's face it - in a few more years, we may not be able to do something like this.  The reality is that the older we get, the less we'll be able to do and we should help one another NOW, while we're able.



3) Because a couple of years ago, we were dealing with this .....


... and this ... 




... and people helped us like I've never experienced before.  So many people stepped out and stepped up and helped us in so many ways.  In some cases, we didn't even know how much we needed a certain help until someone came forward and did it for us.  People need to do that.  SEE the need ... and then FILL the need.  



4) Because late last year, Dawn reached out to me and simply extended an invitation and shared a message with me ... and it changed my outlook.  Sometimes when someone does something for you, it just makes you want to reciprocate, doesn't it?

5) Because we're called to Love our neighbors and that means this ...


[ When I was told that a friend of ours was looking to have their porch rebuilt, I did not immediately think, "Oh, I can do that!"  Even though I have built a lot of other things, I have never built a porch before.  So I knew that I would not be able to do this all on my own. And I I thought to myself that if I think that I can do everything on my own why would I ever need God/?  He has given me the skills and abilities but I know better than to think that just because I can build things that I will be able to do this on my own.  I just knew that this porch was going to be built by God and we were just going to be the tools that He would use. So I said, "Yes!  Let's step out of our comfort zone and see God's Hand work through us."  I have seen Him work like this in the past and I know that He is faithful. I don’t know if I ever feel more at peace then when I am being used by God.  During this project I have been a leader, a teacher and a student.  We have made mistakes but God has always shown us a way to overcome the obstacles. I thank him for this opportunity to show His love, which is one of my favorite things to do. - Brian ]



No comments:

Post a Comment