Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Here's a story of how my day went ... and what I learned ...

Rees stayed in the hospital last night and his Baba stayed with him so that I could be home with the other kids and go to work today.  I've been stressing ... 

"of course," you say, ... I know that is nothing new.  

But, as I mentioned in my post from the other day, I have really worked hard to secure 2017 so that I could go into "surgery-season" stress-free and self-assured.  I thought I had it all figured out.  I thought I had done what needed to be done.  I thought I was in the safe-zone.


Guess what?  


While I was scrambling to get as much work done as I could today (since I knew I would be missing more time later this week), I received a phone call from my employer's leave management office.  I had applied for a leave of absence to cover my needed time away from work for the surgeries that were planned for Jonah and Rees this week.  It came as a shock to me to find out that as of this very moment, I am not eligible for the leave of absence that I was planning on.  


What do you mean I am not eligible?  I carefully planned.  I painstakingly arranged.  I diligently tracked.  

After I hung up the phone, I broke out in tears of frustration.  I thought I had carefully planned for this leave of absence; all year I had been working towards it ... only to now come up just short of what I needed.  

And then to add that to the lingering disappointment of Rees' cancelled surgery because of his current medical issue, well I was just beside myself ... but not for long!!

I had a few moments of despair and I just conceded to the LORD, "I don't know what you're doing but I have done everything I can and I am just not going to worry about this anymore.    If I don't have an approved LOA when Rees has his surgery, then I don't.  If I have to use up my PTO, then I will.  If I ... 

... wait a minute!  

IT STRUCK ME!  


  • Rees' surgery was cancelled for this week.  
  • I was frustrated when Rees' surgery had to be cancelled.  
  • I meant for Jonah's procedure to fall under Rees' so that missed work time would run concurrently instead of separate.  But Jonah's surgery is relatively minor.  I will just use a day or two of PTO if all goes well.  
  • I was upset about not being eligible for the leave of absence for Rees' surgery that was no longer happening.  
  • Rees' surgery is postponed and I will likely be eligible for the leave on the rescheduled date!  Had Rees' surgery not been postponed, I would be missing a big chunk of work time UNAPPROVED.  

And then I cried some more!!  I whispered to Him, "You really are looking out for me." 

God knew ahead of time ... He knew I'd make a mistake.  He knew my plans were flawed. But He worked it out to my benefit.  

I get so wrapped up in my plans ... in following my self-created, regimented schedule ... I nearly missed His divine intervention.  I almost didn't see it for what it was.  

Then I read from one of my devotionals this evening.  I had neglected reading it this morning but after reading it tonight, I think it was meant to be.  Reading it this evening only confirmed for me the lesson that I learned today.

 I AM YOUR STRENGTH!  When you begin a day feeling weak and weary, it's all right.  Your weakness can be a reminder of your need for Me.  Remember that I am with you continually - ready to help you as you go along your way.  Take My hand in joyful trust, letting Me guide you and strengthen you.  I delight in helping you, My child.

Whenever you feel inadequate for the task ahead, stop and think about your resources.  I, your Strength am infinite: I never run out of anything.  So when you work in collaboration with me, don't set limits on what you expect to accomplish.  I will give you what you need to keep moving forward, step by step.  You may not reach the goal as quickly as you'd like, but you will get their in My perfect timing.  Refuse to be discouraged by delays or detours.  Instead, trust that I know what I'm doing - and just take the next step.  Perseverance and trust in Me make a potent combination.

O my Strength, to you I sing praises,
    for you, O God, are my refuge,
    the God who shows me unfailing love. - Ps. 59:17 (nlt)

I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength. - Phil. 4:13 (nlt)

He gives strength to those who are tired and more power to those who are weak. - Is. 40:29 (nlt)

Devotional: Jesus Always, by Sarah Young

1 comment:

  1. Love your post !!! Thank you for sharing your experience :)

    ReplyDelete