Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Adoption ... It's A Choice

As part of the adoption process, prospective adoptive parents must provide medical documentation to support that they are in general good health and that they are able to care for a child.   Yesterday, I went in for my annual check-up, which I was due for anyway, thus, providing a convenient way to get the necessary forms completed.  My doctor was interested and helpful with what needed to be completed, as was the nurse, however, I was thrown off a bit when the nurse asked in a round-about way if we are pursuing to adopt these two boys as some sort of religious mandate.  I don’t think at all that the question was meant to offend or express disapproval, especially based on the conversation we had following the question, however, it still struck me funny and I found myself unsure of how to respond.

The definitions of religion vary and seem to be subjective at times but, honestly, it has always seemed to me to be the assumption of a specific set of rules to adhere to.  So, I wouldn’t say that I am a religious person; I’m just a Christian, a person who believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, who came to earth to die for my sins.  He is my Savior and as best I can I try to live my life according to His teachings.  As a Christian, I hold as Truth the Word of God that is the Holy Bible and in it there is a great deal said about the compassion that God has for the orphan, the widow, the poor and needy … as a Christian, then, and based on what God's Word says, I believe that God wants me to care for these people groups but I don’t believe that adoption is the only method of “care” or that God is MAKING me adopt these children.  

Being a Christian has not made me some kind of perfect person who follows all of the rules all of the time; it sure hasn’t made me a perfect parent.  Just as our children make poor choices from time to time … as parents, we make mistakes too.  We do the best we can and we hope and pray that our lives have positively affected each child in a way that helps them as they go on to navigate their own lives.  I am not a perfect parent and I don’t know everything … how each child will turn out, how effective my parenting will be, if anything I’ve done or said will “stick” and still matter years from now.  But while there’s lots of things I don’t know, there’s one thing I do know …

Can I be who I am and share what I have with one more person?    

YES!  The answer is YES.

Whether or not it’s a requirement or religious mandate, I do have a choice.

If God has a calling for my life, He does not force it upon me.  He is patient in letting me discover the direction my life needs to go.  If it is ultimately a God-given direction, … I’m okay with that.

Deep down, within me, though it may not always be immediate, the answer is always YES

Adoption is expensive.  It’s emotional and sometimes frustrating.  It’s a journey into the unknown with no promises or guarantees.  It can be scary!  But it is also exciting and rewarding, an adventure with limitless possibilities.  It is the opportunity to redeem something that was lost.

Most of all, adoption is the direct reflection of God’s redemption of something that was lost; it mimics how God adopts us into His family and makes us His Sons and Daughters, joint heirs with Jesus Christ who gave up His very life so that we could be a part of His family.

What do I have to give up?? 

In the reality of caring for two more children, there are things I will have to give up.  I may not be able to have the newest, latest, biggest, greatest … but that’s a choice I’m making with acceptance “up-front”.  And at the end of my life, I will hopefully be able to say that I had everything I needed and that I was someone who made a difference.


Would you like to make a difference in the life of an orphaned child?  

You can help us offset the adoption fees/expenses we are expected to incur on our journey to bring home our two special needs boys from China.  There are several options you could choose from below.   We are greatly blessed by the encouragement and support of those around us and we pray that God reciprocates and multiplies your blessing back to you!!

1)      Easiest Option: Click on the above “Donate Now” link to go to our YouCaring fundraiser site.  You can make a donation via their secure platform. You can also go to www.youcaring.com and search the fundraisers - ours is titled Brian and Kimberly Prendergast's Adoption Fees/Expenses.   
2)      Tax Deductible Option: You may make a tax-deductible donation towards our adoption by sending a check to us, made out to the Adoption Agency.  We will collect funds and then send to the agency in groups.  Include the remittance slip below so that we can be sure to have your donation allocated appropriately. 
3)      Tax Deductible (Alternate) Option: You may make a tax-deductible donation towards our adoption by sending a check directly to the adoption agency.  In the memo line, indicate either Kong, Bei Bei or Li, Huang to have the funds applied specifically to the fees associated with his adoption.  In the event we are unable to proceed with the adoption, those funds would stay with that child for his adoption fees.
4)      NON-Tax Deductible Agency-Direct Option: You may send a check to the adoption agency and note our family name (Brian and Kimberly Prendergast) in the memo line.
Our adoption agency is as follows:
WACAP
315 S. Second Street
Renton, WA  98057



No comments:

Post a Comment