Wednesday, December 9, 2020

A Long Time Since ... and News on the Horizon

 


Tap, tap ... testing: "is this thing on?"

Is there even anybody still here in this space?  If so: here goes. 

 I know it's been a while since this space has been occupied but, well, you know ... life happens and it can be enough just to live it without documenting all the things.  

 There's been a lull in the medical procedures that our dumpling boys had since being adopted in late 2015.  Some of you may recall the numerous surgeries that were endured in 2016 and 2017.  Of course, they are doing great, even in this 2020 pandemic.  At this time, I will refrain from discussing anything about this monumental year except this task at hand: Jonah and Rees.

So ... where to begin ... 

... both boys have grown so much!  They really have. 



Both boys last had surgery in 2018 when we travelled to Oklahoma to have surgery done by a new surgeon.  If you need a refresher, you can click HERE.  We had a great experience in Oklahoma and felt really confident that this surgeon would be the one for all of our future medical/surgical needs for Jonah and Rees.

Since then, we've just been living life and taking a break from all things medical.  The boys have continued to be followed orthodontically as this is what would drive next steps.  The time has arrived for those next steps.  

Rees was born with a midline cleft, among other things, and he has upper and lower jaw concerns.  He has an open bite tendency and his lower jaw is too far forward.  He also has some issues with a few teeth that are currently and will continue to be monitored.  They are recommending that he have an upper jaw expansion and a lower arch development appliance. The expansion will widen his jaws, which will help with the overcrowding and overlapping of teeth he has as well as pave the way for a needed bone graft at the site of his cleft.

Jonah, unfortunately, will need to undergo lower jaw distraction again (and likely a time or two more after) due to the fact that his lower jaw does not keep up with his growth.  He has grown amazingly well but the growth has left his lower jaw "behind" and it is now greatly affecting his speech and his eating.  Additionally, he may require some surgery to affect his bilateral cleft and the mountain of teeth that he has developed behind it.  

Long story short, we have decisions to make and items to consider because the surgeon we transitioned to is located in Oklahoma and the needs are currently being directed by the Orthodontist who is *here* ... where we live ... and it is being recommended by said Orthodontist to have the medical/surgical aspect of the orthodontic care be handled by a surgeon who is *here* ... where we live.

It stresses me.  We are waiting to hear from the office at the hospital as we have agreed to have a consultation with the surgeon and also have a CT ordered for Jonah to help determine what should/needs to be done.

Prayers would be greatly appreciated.  I'm struggling with this a bit and the feeling that I don't really have a choice.  

We sat there and listened to the various next steps being recommended for our sons.

Why can't God just tell us what is the best thing? I asked myself ...

And in my head I heard the voice... the one that I always wonder if its me talking to myself or if it is actually God speaking to me... and it said, "What makes you think He isn't already telling you?"

And then at dinner later that evening, as we prepared to eat but began the usual prayer reading, my daughter unwittingly read the verse Proverbs 3:5-6 ... "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."
...and then the accompanying prayer "Father God, it is impossible for us to have all the answers; we are incapable of knowing everything. All we need, though, is to trust in You... for everything ... and we will be at peace, even with our unknowing. You are in control, LORD, and Your are our Guide. Help us to stay focused on You. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

It's been hard for me to let go of the very full confidence I held for the surgeon we had for ten years, the one who performed amazing, transforming procedures on all four of our adopted children. It's been hard for me to change gears or reroute my expectations ...
...but aren't I then behaving as if I don't trust God with my children?
I do want to trust.
I do want to believe that God has a plan.
I do want to act as though I am surrendered to the will of God.

So, please , LORD, please let us know ... help us to respond in favor of Your leading. Allow us to hear Your voice in the small things as well as the big things. Amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment