Sunday, July 2, 2017

Went to a Brewers baseball game and as we pulled into the parking area I softly,  but still audibly, said "Please don't park next to anyone loud, obnoxious, or drunk!" Well, guess what?  We were parked next to a group of guys with one gal who were pretty on scale with being loud, obnoxious, and drunk!!  Realistically, the odds are pretty favorable that if you are tailgating at Miller Park, you will be in close proximity of persons fitting that description.

These people were not exactly the type we frequent and were fairly opposite of the example we'd like for our kids  but we did our best to ignore them and keep them out of our sphere of awareness.

As we were setting out things for our pre-game meal, I noticed a couple of the guys watching Brian at the little weber as he grilled the brats.  I noticed them tune in to our conversations and the interactions of the kids helping to set things up ... all while maintaining "loud, vulgar, and obnoxious".

As we ate from the spread of food that was far beyond what we could possibly eat, I got the incredible urge to give them our food.  When I could see that each of us had what we were going to eat, without any expectation or thought to what the reaction might be, I walked over to them, all of eight feet away, and I said, "hey, are you guys hungry?"

I swear the world became still in that moment as they stood staring at me, while one guy stuttered and stammered, "uh, ah, uhm, well, uh, ... I mean, ... I could eat."

And those people, who were loud, vulgar, obnoxious, and had very obviously had quite a bit to drink, ... became quiet and calm ... and thanked me repeatedly ... and produced the biggest smiles you would not have even thought possible.

I believe God was truly speaking over me  ...  to be bold and not to operate under stereotypes, assumptions, and misconceptions.   Imagine what our society would be like if we all thought like this every day.  We could change the direction our country is facing if we just took a few simple moments each day ... to be kind.


Kindness ... it really can make a difference.

1 comment: